Search Results

Mrs. Harold Clarke, Talbotville Women's Institute "Trellis Symphony" Quilt

Date:
1952
Part Of:
Talbotville Women's Institute fonds
Series:
Talbotville Women's Institute fonds- Tweedsmuir History series
Description Level:
Item
Storage Room:
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location:
R6 S1 Sh3 B2 F2 30
Creator:
Talbotville Women's Institute
GMD:
graphic material
Physical Description:
1 photograph : b&w
History / Bio. Sketch:
The "Trellis Symphony" Quilt was made by the Talbotville Women's Institute in 1952. The quilt was created to help raise funds for the Elgin Centennial WI Scholarship Fund during Elgin County's Centennmial year, 1952. Each Women's Institute Branch in Elgin County participated and were asked to make a quilt of original design to exhibit and be sold during Centennial Week, August 3-10, 1952. Mrs. C. Bawtenheimer created the original design. The Quilt Committee included: Mrs. Harold Clarke (Convenor), Mrs. A. E. Thomas, Mrs. C. Bawtenheimer and Mrs. Roy Turner. The quilt was embroidered by members of Talbotville WI. While the quilts from other branches were sold, Talbotville chose to make a finaincial donation and kept the quilt, showing it in a number of quilt shows. The quilt was sold in 1953 to someone from Hamilton.
Scope & Content:
One black and white phototgraph shows Mrs. Harold Clarke with the Talbotville Women's Institute quilt "Trellis Symphony" in 1952. Included in the Talbotville Women's Institute Tweedsmuir History, Volume Two.
Names:
Talbotville (Ont.)
Talbotville Women's Institute
Subjects:
Women's Institutes
Thumbnail

Copyright © 2018 County of Elgin